…and how to prevent them.

Electrical Fires In the Workplace

Around 12,000 fires a year are caused by damaged, faulty or misused electrical appliances. Faulty electrics cover a variety of potential fire hazards including loose cables, damaged electrics and improper use causing overheating.

60% of privately owned businesses never recover if they suffer from a major fire. This would have a huge impact on any business no matter how cash-rich or well-known they were.

So what do you look out for and how do you prevent an electrical fire in the workplace?

  • Faulty electrical equipment
  • Loose connections
  • Faulty connections
  • Overloading socket outlets

A business in Torbay was recently badly damaged with fire and 100% smoke and heat damage due to a fire that started accidentally with a fridge malfunction. Luckily no one was hurt however this only highlights the necessity for regular testing of all electrical appliances by a qualified professional.

Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR) are so important. Look at the video one of our employees took whilst testing in a commercial premise. The video shows a poor joint that if left could cause a potential fire risk. If you haven’t had an EICR done recently then contact the office for a free quotation on 01803 472423.

Posted by Finish Electrical Ltd on Thursday, 29 August 2019

Our sister company Fire Secure can provide you with information on which fire protection you need on your premises should a fire break out.


Recovering from a fire is challenging. However, there are plenty of proactive, effective measures you can implement to minimise both the fire risks and the impact a fire could have on your business.

 

With just a few areas of vigilance, a fire in the workplace could be avoided:

 

  • Get an up to date Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR). A poor joint could cause a potential fire risk if left unattended.
  • Ensure that all equipment is PAT tested regularly by a qualified professional.
  • Ensure regular visual inspections take place
  • Always seek advice if you notice (or smell) anything suspicious

Please Note: While it is not a legal requirement to have an EICR Report, laws such as the Landlord and Tenants Act (1985) and Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) outline the responsibilities that landlords and employers have with regards to the safety of tenants and employees.

 

It is important to understand that if regular electrical checks are not carried out and the worst happens, unfortunately, you are not covered by your public liability insurance.


Tips for preventing electrical fires in the workplace:

 

  • Check electrical products have the British/European safety mark
  • Ensure fire extinguishers are in working order and smoke alarms are fitted and checked regularly
  • Follow manufacturer’s instructions when using a device or equipment
  • Don’t leave appliances running overnight wherever possible
  • Ensure that staff have the necessary skills and that training is provided
  • Be vigilant of flickering lights, blown fuses, or circuit-breakers that trip for no reason
  • Carry out risk assessments at frequent intervals

 

It’s worth remembering that business owners are legally required to care for electrical equipment, with regular PAT testing (Portable Appliance Testing). Electrical fires are particularly hazardous because they can’t be put out with water.

 


Electrical Fires In the Home

 

Electricity causes over 20,000 accidental fires in UK homes each year.

As the evenings get cooler and the temptation to overload sockets and extension leads to accommodate heating appliances and Christmas lights increase so does the threat of fire in your home.

This list of potential electrical hazards to look out for should help you tackle any issues before they become fatal:

 

  • Outdated electrical wiring installations
  • Faulty sockets
  • Faulty appliances
  • Lighting cables and fittings
  • Extension leads
  • Portable heaters
  • Fairy lights

How to tell if your home is in danger of an electrical fire:

 

  • Circuit breaker keeps tripping
  • Persisting burnt smell with no identifiable source
  • Several discoloured or charred outlets and switches
  • You have old, outdated wiring

 

We understand how vitally important it is that we minimise any downtime in your business. With this in mind, we offer flexible call-out times so we can be on-site at a time that is most convenient to you and least disruptive to your business.

For more information or to book a free consultation, call us on 01803 472423 or email [email protected]